Thursday, May 26, 2011

Winter in May


So my friends, as you know I have been very busy these past weeks with renovations, holidays and family. Sometimes it seems that I  can't catch my breath, and the hours in the day just do not stretch far enough. You probably know the feeling. Things can be overwhelming at times and it is important that we stop, step back and take a long breath. That is what I am doing. For the rest of this month while I prepare for my next series on Norwegian Folklore I will be posting some of my poetry and observations. Hope you enjoy.  Since it snowed today this one is fitting:


Winter in May

This snow that falls upon my face
cold and bitter,  there is no taste.
.
My hair is scattered, my skin is bare
I turn and turn but you're still there.

Why fall so white in Mays disguise
your breath so cold it burns my eyes.

The summer sun still plays the fool
This bitter wind is just her tool.

I wait, I watch, I turn and turn
This wind won't stop, the sun won't learn.

Tomorrows sun will be more sweet
while winds embrace the summers heat.



14 comments:

Dafeenah said...

Lovely poem. Kinda offtopic, but is winter really in may? how strange it is the beginning of summer for us. that's just amazing to me. I amuse easily I know lol

shelly said...

Nice poem.

Emily Rose said...

I was going to ask the same thing as Dafeenah, I guess I am just use to the seasons in the US.:D
I love the picture and the poem!

Mary@GigglesandGuns said...

Lovely!
I'm hoping that last line comes here soon.

Bossy Betty said...

Loved this poem! Breathe deep! Hope these days slow down for you some.

Crazy Life of a Writing Mom said...

Beautiful! You're such a talented writer. I LOVE that last line. I can't wait for summer ;)

Anonymous said...

Lol I'm not in to much of a rush for summer yet as my air conditioner is not working again. However I did love that poem. Nicely done my friend as usual. Breath deep and relax a bit before you have a nervous breakdown or I have to come bail you out for knocking the saw man out with one of his tools. >:)

Fly Girl said...

What an appropriate poem for May in Chicago! It's freezing enough to see your breath but no snow, at least not yet!

Hart Johnson said...

Oh, I love the poem. I know there in winterland you really GET those horrible May snows... in Michigan I think they HAPPEN, but since we got here 10 years ago, this years April 22 is the latest...

Golden Eagle said...

Beautiful poem!

Michael Di Gesu said...

Fantastic poem, Sis!

We have cold temps here, but not cold enough for snow. Not fun... WE NEED THE SUN!

Unknown said...

I definitely understand the need to step back and take a deep breath. I've been doing or struggling in doing it myself. Loved the poem and yes its strange you have snow and I was sitting in the hot sun today ...

Sue said...

It's wintry here, with icy winds blowing up from the antarctic. I too am slowing down and will spend more time with family over the coming month than I will on the computer. Enjoy your break, I know I'm looking forward to mine :) Sue

Li said...

Love the picture! In my part of the US, we've gone straight from cold/miserable to blazing hot/humid. Mild and gentle Spring seems to have been completely (and sadly) bypassed this year. Very unsettling! I hope you have a nice bit of spring soon :))