Monday, May 2, 2011

I can see clearly now!


Ok this has to be said, at least I have to say it. What is it about these awards that come with terms? When I first started blogging I thought, OK great look at me, I won an award, waving and proud I screamed out," Look someone noticed me!" Then I spent hours trying to satisfy the demands this award put on me. Scratching my head, it did not take long to figure out that something was wrong. Why would someone give me an award that I already had and tell me that I had to do all these things just in order to pick it up? So what did I do? I started giving out awards with no demands on them. I said, I like you and I like your blog so do what you want with this award. Don't get me wrong I like awards. I got one today from  Elisabeth Mueller  This is my favorite award. It came with no strings attached and I earned it. So thank you Elisabeth!



 I do not want to be one of those bloggers that take things for granted. If you follow my blog I will follow yours, but I will be honest and if I find what you are writing about is boring to me, or if you are not writing at all, I will stop following your blog. I expect the same from you! I am doing my best to pay attention and respect you. I am not perfect, I fall down, lose track and get distracted like everyone else out there. There is only one reason I am here blogging in the first place and that is because I am an addict. There I said it. I am addicted to writting and I need to find other addicts out there. I need a support group and I do not care about awards or giveaways or anything else. I just need to write and need to know that I am not alone. So there, you see? I can see clearly now, can you? I have three drugs of choice. Words music and art. Ok, so I like chocolate too.

So you, yeah you! What do you get high on?

Now I have made an award of my own. No one said I couldn't. This is for all my friends that dare to dream and never stop doing so. You can take this award if you think you are a dreamer. No strings attached!


15 comments:

Ted Cross said...

When I hadn't received any awards, it made me feel good to finally get one. I especially liked the ones where the givers were acknowledging me specifically, or where I was at least one of only a few. Later I began seeing the kinds that say to pass them to lots of others, and they began to lose some of their charm as I would receive them over and over again. I think there's something to be said for making such things have actual value (of a sort).

Francine Howarth said...

Hi,

Yep, awards without rules are always very welcome! Though I did set aside a special award page where rules are followed (sometimes)and it either makes for a fun read or bores the pants off people. There are awards available at my blog if anyone is interested!

Re regular posting: well, yes, but, such can get in the way of writing a novel. Once I'm into my characters and the story flowing I don't always post much on my own blogs, and I do have a regular weekly slot on a group blog. Lame excuse, and bows head in shame. ;)

best
F

shelly said...

Hey Siv:

Love your honesty. Know what you mean. Those awards are networking tools to find and navigate other readers. It's a nice gesture, linking one another together but yes, it's a royal pain in the arse.

Also, now that I'm back to normal, I'll be blogging my usual three to four days a week.

Li said...

I can see the good and bad. It's nice to be acknowledged, but I think the "rules' for accepting should just be "suggestions". There was one that requested you tell 7 things about yourself. 2 Of the award winners came up with some very funny/interesting stuff. But feeling obligated sort of takes the fun out of it. Same with passing it on. One required passing it to 10 people. I ignored it and passed it to only 5 - "new" blogs that I really thought people should know about because they post quality work. One thing that bothers me is the people (mostly on Twitter) who beg for more followers multiple times per day. So annoying. (I suppose I'll take heat for saying that.)

Desiree said...

I admire and appreciate your frankness and honesty, Siv. When I started my blog in November last year I did not even know about awards. I have subsequently become aware that there are all sorts of things bloggers do and take on, but I personally feel that each should do only what feels right and comfortable for him/her. If being noticed and having a large following is important, go for it. I prefer to be quiet in my corner, observing, interacting and posting on my terms. . I am not interested in awards or artificially attracting a large following. If anyone chooses to read or follow my blog, great. If not, so be it. I do not bow to peer pressure or follow the prescriptions of others.

Hart Johnson said...

I am so with you on awards. I love getting them, but I nearly never pass them on because of all the hoops to jump through.

You definitely completed A to Z in style! And while I don't 'quit following' unless someone irks me (usually with regular political or religious rants I don't agree with, but sometimes with rudeness), but I don't read regularly unless I really enjoy it... THOSE go in my blog roll (which you've been added to because I really enjoyed getting to know you)

Anonymous said...

Oh my friend you are making me giggle here! I keep getting these things but for one thing I don't know how to accept them. Refer back to me being blond. Secondly I completly agree there should be no strings attached! I love the fact that you are just blunt! Being that way myself I find it refreshing that I'm not alone! As for the addiction part... Well you both know I'm there holding your hand through it since I can't stop myself from writing any nore than I can stop breathing.

Deana said...

Hi, I'm Deana Barnhart and I'm addicted to writing:)

Awesome to find other addicts out there. Congrats on your award!

Bossy Betty said...

I am a rebel and do not follow rules for awards.

I like a fellow addict!!!

Jules said...

Oh I'm so glad you said that and I got your back sister :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Roland D. Yeomans said...

You are not the only one who feels burdened with awards with hoops to leap through. There are blogs which state that they are "No-Award-Zones" for that very reason.

Blogging is meant to be fun. When it stops being fun, then we have taken the wrong turn in the cyber-road. We all hope an agent will drop by and like what they see and ask to see more. It seldom happens. It did with me. But the outcome was disappointing on both ends. Sigh.

I always enjoy visiting your blog, Roland

Michael Di Gesu said...

Hi, SIV...

I adore your honesty. I blog for the same reasons... FUN. I am an addict too. You have found several of your cyber extended family in this community... WELCOME.

Tiger85 said...

Great song and congrats on your award and finishing the challenge. =)

Poetry, Quotes and Book Reviews.

Laura Eno said...

What a beautiful award you made! I don't follow the rules at all. I ignore all stipulations that go with awards. ;)

Marie Rearden said...

High on LIFE, baby! Yeah!

Marie at the Cheetah