As an avid reader of Norse Mythology , the Gods and Goddesses of this world totally fascinate me. Yet I must admit that I have never in my life read a comic book.
I have however been introduced to Spiderman, Batman and Superman through TV and films. The legends of superheroes continue to spin our dreams, fill us with hope and throw us into a world of fantasy, action and adventure. Now that’s entertainment. Unfortunately in my opinion this movie fell short. I realize that I have not read the marvel comic books and for those of you that have, this movie might very well have been entertaining enough. But for those of us that prefer our superheroes which are based on mythological fact, this movie is more than disappointing. The irritating costumes in the movie reminded me of Battlestar Galactica meets The Jetsons. The characters were false, the storyline ridiculous and watered down. What could have been a fantastic movie was turned into nothing but a chapter from a cheap animated cartoon comic book with nothing more substantial than the film it was printed on. If I were one of those Gods I would have sued the responsible parties for misrepresentation.
On the plus side, ladies you will certainly enjoy some of the exposure to male beauty. Chris Hemsworth who played Thor might have been good to look at but Tom Hiddleston as Loki definitely stole the show. His portrayal as a betrayed son with a secret heritage was memorable. As to the rest, there is none. Big names like Antony Hopkins, Renee Russo and Natalie Portman couldn’t even save this movie. My recommendations, stick to the comics or better yet, buy a good book.
A few facts:
- · Loki was not a frost Giant. According to Norse Mythology Laufey was Lokis Mother. Marvil Comics depicted Laufey as Lokis father and a frost giant. Lokis father is Fárbauti who is a Jøtunn Giant.
- · Loki is not Thors brother. Lokis brothers are: Helblindi and Býleistr. Thor and Loki were merely at times just friends in crime.
- · Heimdall was not black. Heimdall was referred to as "the whitest of the gods" and a golden boy.
- · Sif was born with golden hair. Hers, however, was turned black after Loki jealously cut it and replaced it with enchanted hair made by dwarves. This is Marvel fiction.
- · Sif is the wife of the god Thor and is known for her golden hair. The Prose Edda also recounts that Sif once had her hair shorn by Loki, and that Thor forced Loki to have a golden headpiece made for Sif, resulting in not only Sif's golden tresses but also five other objects for other gods. Her hair was never black.
- · Hogun, a Japanese God complete with accent, Fandral and Volstagg have no basis in Norse Mythology and are complete creations of Marvel Comics.