Friday, May 20, 2011

Movie Review: THOR


As an avid reader of Norse Mythology , the Gods and Goddesses of this world totally fascinate me. Yet I must admit that I have never in my life read a comic book.

I have however been introduced to  Spiderman, Batman and Superman through TV and films. The legends of superheroes continue to spin our dreams, fill us with hope and throw us into a world of fantasy, action and adventure. Now that’s entertainment. Unfortunately in my opinion this movie fell short. I realize that I have not read the marvel comic books and for those of you that have, this movie might very well have been entertaining enough. But for those of us that prefer our superheroes which are based on mythological fact, this movie is more than disappointing. The irritating costumes in the movie reminded me of Battlestar Galactica meets The Jetsons. The characters were false, the storyline ridiculous and watered down. What could have been a fantastic movie was turned into nothing but a chapter from a cheap animated cartoon comic book with nothing more substantial than the film it was printed on.  If I were one of those Gods I would have sued the responsible parties for misrepresentation. 


On the plus side, ladies you will certainly enjoy some of the exposure to male beauty. Chris Hemsworth who  played Thor might have been good to look at but Tom Hiddleston as Loki definitely stole the show. His portrayal as a betrayed son with a secret heritage was memorable. As to the rest, there is none. Big names like Antony Hopkins, Renee Russo and Natalie Portman couldn’t even save this movie. My recommendations, stick to the comics or better yet, buy a good book.


A few facts:

  • ·        Loki was not a frost Giant. According to Norse Mythology Laufey was Lokis Mother. Marvil Comics depicted Laufey as Lokis father and a  frost giant. Lokis father is Fárbauti who is a Jøtunn Giant.

  • ·        Loki is not Thors brother. Lokis brothers are: Helblindi and Býleistr. Thor and Loki were merely at times just friends in crime.

  • ·        Heimdall was not black. Heimdall was referred to as "the whitest of the gods" and a golden boy.

  • ·        Sif was born with golden hair. Hers, however, was turned black after Loki jealously cut it and replaced it with enchanted hair made by dwarves. This is Marvel fiction.

  • ·        Sif is the wife of the god Thor and is known for her golden hair. The Prose Edda also recounts that Sif once had her hair shorn by Loki, and that Thor forced Loki to have a golden headpiece made for Sif, resulting in not only Sif's golden tresses but also five other objects for other gods. Her hair was never black.

  • ·        Hogun, a Japanese God complete with accent, Fandral and Volstagg have no basis in Norse Mythology and are complete creations of Marvel Comics. 

  •  

12 comments:

Unknown said...

I saw the movie and enjoyed the special effects and, as you say, the main actors. In terms of acting Tom Hiddleston was second to none. But, having read your blog, I also noticed that they weren't brothers, that Sif's hair was blonde and I'd never heard of a Japanese god before. See? You're an education - told you!

Dafeenah said...

I am torn on whether to watch this movie or not. Those who are diehard comic geeks LOVE this movie, but those who are not don't seem to as much. So I am thinking I am going to skip this one. Legends are always better in books than movies.

Anonymous said...

As a huge mythological fan I wanted this to be a great movie! I wonder if you knew nothing of mythology if it would change your point of view. My daughter just saw it and loved it. Which is funny cause she wasn't going to but her friends convinced her to. I'm torn as to whether or not I will watch it. I'm usually disappointed by movies based off books or mythology.. aaahhh I'll let you know what i decide.

Bossy Betty said...

I had not planned on seeing the movie and your review has confirmed my decision!

P.S. Have I ever told you how much I love that little black kitten on your blog?

Laura Eno said...

Oh, bummer. Maybe I'll just wait for it to come out on DVD, instead of paying the high price of the theater.

Sarah McCabe said...

Ok, look, there is no such thing as mythological fact. The very idea is an oxymoron. Myth as a medium is given to change over time because it's passed down over generation, centuries even, by word of mouth. The Prose Edda is great, but it's essentially the end of a very long game of telephone. Nothing in it is "truth" any more than any particular version any folktale is more true than another version. Even mythology from places like Egypt, which was often literally set in stone, changed drastically depending on the time and place of its telling.

Retellings and reimaginings of myths happen all the time, have been happening for centuries. Because the nature of mythology is not in the specific details of the myth, but in the themes it explores. I think you need to not be so uptight about it.

Crazy Life of a Writing Mom said...

I didn't see this, but have wanted to. I'm glad I read your review. I think I would have been disappointed with it too. Great review--I love your honesty. ;)

Unknown said...

LOL, I figured I would get some heat on this one.Well even without being a mythology fan I would not have liked this movie, but thats just my opinion. Wouldn't it be funny to see a movie with a fat, bald Athena from Greek Mythology riding on a broomstick? Why not? Sounds like a good idea.Lets take all the classic mythology change the stories around to fit a comic book and then make a movie....LOL!

shelly said...

Leave it to Hollywood to get it all wrong.

Jules said...

I wait for everything to come out on DVD so it will be awhile before I have the chance to see this or not. I can tell you lately though, it is getting harder and harder to find a good movie. Thanks for your honesty. :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Anonymous said...

Seriously? You're criticizing a movie based on a COMIC BOOK because it isn't accurate to the tee to 'true' mythology? That's because it isn't BASED on mythology. It's based on a Marvel comic, which has little-to-nothing to do with what actual Norse legends consisted of. You may as well rip on Marvel's Hercules or DC's Wonder Woman for not being an accurate representation of Heracles or an Amazon from the Greek myths. You have to take the movie as it was meant to be taken; namely, a fairly accurate send-up of the features Marvel cherry-picked from Norse lore for their comic continuity.

Unknown said...

Ha ha, like I said, even without the mythology and basing the movie on comic book merit alone, I would not have liked this movie. The characters were weak, the acting for the most part boring, the love story ridiculous, the costumes horrible. The action...just ok. Once again, just my opinion.