Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Norwegian National Day

Hurrah…Hurrah…Hurrah!


 All the children dress up in their fancy clothes . If they are lucky, and many are, they dress up in their national costumes. Shoes are shined, hair slicked back, ribbons in place and most important a small Norwegian flag to carry. The marching bands have been practicing all year for this event and their shiny instruments and drums are ready to set the streets alive with music.


All over Norway, bells chime, guns sound of several solutes and children line up behind the music to start the parade. In Oslo the Royal family stands on the terrace of the palace and greets the thousands of children that pass below them. For Norwegians there is a special meaning behind this day, one that is separate from a declaration of independence. During WW2 Norwegians were not allowed by the Germans which occupied this country to celebrate their national holiday or to honor their flag. Norwegians would have to celebrate in secret among friends and family. Today on the 17th of May this beautiful country and its people celebrate in extra glory knowing full well what it is like not being able to do so.

For all my Norwegian friends and family around the world, may your day be full of laughter, love and pride for who you are.


11 comments:

Emily Rose said...

Have a wonderful day! It's sounds like a lot of fun!

Bob Scotney said...

I have fond memories of spending the day in Stavanger.

Anonymous said...

Hope you have lots and lots of fun today :-)

shelly said...

Hope your day is special. I love your blogs.

Anonymous said...

What fun! It's kinda like the 4th of July except it looks llike more people get involved. Hope you have a great day today!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Siv - Happy, happy National Norway Day .. definitely a wonderful day ... I hope you're having a lovely time - cheers Hilary

Crazy Life of a Writing Mom said...

That looks awesome. Have a ball :0)

Dafeenah said...

Sounds like fun! I always love your pics. The country looks breathtakingly beautiful.

Susan Kane said...

That was wonderful, and the photos show the joy of national pride. Thanks for sharing that with us all.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Sounds like a wonderful way to celebrate especially after the oppression. I hope you enjoyed the day, sis....

M

N. R. Williams said...

Love it Siv. Do they have fireworks too? I love fireworks.

You may not know this, but my character in my epic fantasy, Missie, is an American of Norwegian descent. I am not, but I had a wonderful friend who is and that inspired me, though my character is nothing like my friend.
Nancy
N. R. Williams, The Treasures of Carmelidrium