It is getting harder and harder every year to pull off a good “April Fool’s Day” prank. My family is on extra alert the whole day making my pranks almost impossible to find. I don’t know why I get such pleasure out of fooling them or why the words “April Fools” make me feel all giddy and happy. Could be the child in me, or it could just be the little devil in me.
No one really knows where the origin of April fool’s Day comes from. Some say that the beginning of this tradition was in 1582, in France. With the reform of the calendar under Charles IX, the Gregorian Calendar was introduced, and New Year's Day was moved to January 1.However, communications being what they were in the days when news traveled by foot, many people did not receive the news for several years. The same people that still thought the world was flats, the more obstinate ones, refused to accept the new calendar and continued to celebrate the New Year on April 1. These people were labeled as "fools" by the general population. They were subject to a lot of ridicule, and often sent on a "fool’s errand." They were also made the butt of other practical jokes.This harassment evolved, over time, into a tradition of prank-playing on the first day of April. The tradition eventually spread to England and Scotland in the eighteenth century. It was later introduced to the American colonies of both the English and French. April fool’s Day thus developed into an international fun fest, so to speak, with different nationalities specializing in their own brand of humor at the expense of their friends and families. No one really knows for sure how this All Fools Day started but I am delighted it did.
So the little kid in me (which also happens to be a little devil) could use some help from you guys. April fool’s day is almost here and I am totally at a loss. If I stop pulling pranks on this day it is like slapping the little girl in me on the face. The old woman in me would win. No, no, no, we cannot have that happen! Please share with me one of your pranks, time is running out and I am desperate for ideas. Now in order for this to be fair, here are some of mine:
- · Reset the alarm clock for a couple hours so when your” fooly” wakes up they think in a panic how late they are
- · Buy a really “out of character” newspaper and replace it with the one you usually get
- · Buy some truly horrid coffee and replace the good stuff, if your other half loves coffee like mine, this will totally freak them out.
- · Replacing any kind of drink in the fridge with something that looks the same but tastes totally different. Food coloring can help with that.
- · Hide something important and watch as they panic to find it
- · Call someone and ask them what they did to the computer and how to turn it on
So tell me, what do you have up your sleeve?