Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Resurrection Blogfest

 Double booked today so for my  Insecure Writers Support Group Post please click Here
First off, I know that many of you might be scared off when you run across Mina Lobos Some Dark Romantic first page blog impression which reads....

 Content Warning
...blah blah blah.

Do not let this put you off visiting Mina's blog. Mina is a Goth Mom who loves to write and has a great sence of humor. I love visiting her blog and I am sure you will as well, Check out her blog for yourself and see.



Now on to my Resurrection Blog Post which is part of Mina's one year blogging anniversary. Happy Blogaversary Mina! To check out other Resurrection Posts and the rules for this blogfest please go to her site. During my first year of blogging this is the post I would like to resurrect. I choose it hoping it gives you a good chuckle!





 Written first on my blog Friday March 18, 2011

Lost in Translation


Learning another language has been very challenging for me. Through the years I have made my fair share of mistakes and come across some rather funny translations. Here are some of them:
Rape-burp
Excuse me, I always rape after a good meal
Fart-speed
You can only do 30 farts on this street
God-good
I want you to be God when you go to your friend’s house.
Hår (pronounced whore) hair
There is a whore in my food
Gift-married, also poison
You gave me the perfect poison
I have a gift girl I want you to meet.
Mus (pronounced moose)-mouse
The cat ate another moose 
Pikk (pick)- penise
Do you always use a penise when you play the guitar 
Brus (Bruce)- soda pop
On a hot day a big Bruce really tastes great
Ratt –steering wheel
The rat is loose in my car
Dugg( pronounced dog)- dew
There is a lot of dog on my window
Smell -crash
Its not the fart that kills you its the smell 
That line is funny because a Norwegian rally driver said it to a journalist in all seriousness. 
There are a lot of school executions here in this town (misuse of the word excursions)  
When I first came to Norway I didn’t speak more than a few words of Norwegian. Where ever I went all I heard were a bunch of sounds that made no sense, like a bunch of chickens squawking. Often I find myself speaking Nor-lish and making up words that seem to fit. My Norwegian has gotten a lot better but I still make a lot of mistakes, speak a strange dialect and get laughed at a lot. I have done some translating for the town of Larvik, and I have worked as a substitute teacher at an elementary school. One thing I have learned, something’s just get lost in translation and I found out a long time ago that Jokes are impossible to translate. I will be adding to this list in the future, but for now have some fun and a few laughs with some Norwegian Farts and look here you got to be kidding me . Try not to get lost along the way. Happy Friday or as they say in Norwegian God Fredag!

15 comments:

StratPlayerCJF said...

Very, very funny stuff! I love how words that mean something innocent in one language can get jumbled into something TOTALLY different in another. ;^)

I hope you enjoy the blogfest!

~Sia McKye~ said...

I'm still chuckling after reading that list--now I see where *rape and pillaging* got lost in the translation. lol!

Elise Fallson said...

I can totally relate to this. When I first moved to France, I could speak it but still made tons of grammatical errors and I too learned jokes are impossible to translate. After almost 10 years, my French has gotten better but I still feel insecure about my spoken French and even more my written French.

Bossy Betty said...

Ah yes, some things do get lost in translation! Happy writing!

N. R. Williams said...

Hi Siv
Funny. I'd be dead on arrival if I had to learn a new language. On a side note, I had a friend years ago named Kirby. He wasn't a vacuum cleaner but he sure got teased. Off to read your IWSG post now.
Nancy

Jolie du Pre said...

I know only one language. I'm sure my accent would be thick if I tried to learn another. LOL!

Undead: What Are They?

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

Oh Norway sounds so cold. Good of you though to speak two languages. That's just awesome.

Tami Von Zalez said...

Can you teach me your Norlish?

Popped in from the Resurrection blogfest ~

thriftshopcommando.blogspot.com

Georgina Morales said...

Oh, I totally get your pain. My mother tongue is spanish but I studied english for most of my life, so no problem there, really. It was when I started studying french a year ago that things got hairy. In a single sentence I had a couple of french words, like three english ones, and a spanish word... just for good measure. Oy, what a mess!

Good news is, we can only get better, right?

Now off to check your IWSG post, as I got double booked, too. =)

Elizabeth Twist said...

Great Resurrection post! Too cute.

Siobhan said...

Funny. Norway is a place I'd like to visit sometime. New follower here.

Cherie Reich said...

Ah, those are great! The things we do to communicate. :)

M Pax said...

You certainly made me laugh. I don't know any Norwegian, so you're way ahead of me.

Tamara said...

Found you through Mina's bloghop. New follower. :)

Awesome post--loved the translations!

N. R. Williams said...

Hi Siv
There's a blog award awaiting you on my blog.
Nancy