Monday, February 6, 2012

The Food Whisperer

 
 Sometimes when asked, “What’s for dinner Mom?” I have no answer. My leftovers do not talk to each other, I cannot get to the store, there is no money in my wallet or I am sick. That would be the time to call in the food whisperer. There is one inside all of us. The food whisperer tell us when food is bad and needs to be thrown out, turns old bread into new and almost magically gets your leftovers to talk to each other and make a meal.

It is Monday, the stores were closed yesterday, and I did not plan for the unexpected company of this much snow. Dig out the car or put on skis are not my only option.

Snowed in and hungry

Taking inventory of the freezer, cupboards and fridge, it is time for the food whisperer to do her job. Once again leftovers will have to work together so first they need to start a dialog.  Small spicy meatballs, Chinese leftovers and ground beef from the freezer, wild rice and asparagus from yesterday’s dinner. What do they say to each other and how could they possibly get along? As you might know I have taken to naming my appliances as a means of keeping them user friendly. Mike, the microwave oven, will have to thin things out between Chinese and ground beef. Wild rice and asparagus will have to get along together with the rest of the company on today’s dinner plate. The result for dinner tonight is Wild Chinese Meatballs. The food whisperer has once again done the job and dinner is saved without physical exhaustion.

Wild Chinese Meatballs served with a light green salad

Tomorrow I am going to tell you what you can do with old dairy products and how they can put the sweetness back in your life. 

How many times has the food whisperer saved your meals?

4 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's probably how the Chinese came up with their own dishes!

Laura Josephsen said...

Oh, nice!! My husband is really good at taking a bunch of leftovers and turning them into a meal.

Geoff Maritz said...

Wild Chinese Meatballs, hmm, I like the sound of those. Tell me though, are the Chinese wild or are the meatballs? :)
Looks like things are a bit chilley up there, at the moment about 32 degC here during the day. Am so looking forward to winter and the rains, no snow here though.
Hang in there Siv, you've got some real good friends in your kitchen, I mean they can even tame wild Chinese (meatballs).
Blessings, Geoff.

Stranger in a Strange Land said...

Looks delicious. Yum.

Take care,
Mike