Thursday, June 23, 2011

Midsummer Night in Norway

It is midsummer night, a night of magick when fairies come out to play. The longest day of the year comes to Norway with the midnight sun. We celebrate this light of life by making bonfires, staying up all night and chasing after fairies. Well some of us do. Here in Larvik we live by the sea so like most small towns with a waterfront we light bonfires along the shore and party. For those that have a boat, they happily spend all night watching the bonfires from the water.
Tonight I watch the bonfires, maybe throw on some wood to feed the flame, and listen to some music. Later when just a small moment of time creates a blanket of semi darkness, I will find my quiet place and dance with the fairies.
So how are you spending your night?

13 comments:

Christine Murray said...

I love the idea of watching bonfires from boats, it sounds very atmospheric.

Baiba said...

ahh, I live in Latvia, which is close :) and yeah, we do so many awesom things, and bonfire is one of them :):)

have a great day n night :)

shelly said...

I'll be lopping hair until nine and then check in with my stepdad and banter amongst my sibs.

Crazy Life of a Writing Mom said...

That looks soooo awesome!
And to think, I just spent my night editing LOL!

Stranger in a Strange Land said...

Just my wife and I enjoying a quiet evening at home with traditional Swedish food and I will bake my modified version of a Swedish Cheesecake recipe. I'm a bit more generous with the eggs and add an extra 150 grams of Phili cheese. It comes out a little closer to an American Cheese Cake if I use my imagination.

Ha det gøy- Ha det så bra,
Mike
PS: Glad midtsommer

Michael Di Gesu said...

I WANNA BE THERE .... I SO WANNA BE THERE!

I have an award for you at my blog, SIS.

Anonymous said...

I would prefer your night...I think I now know where Loreena McKennitt got her idea for the Mystic's Dream from The Mask & The Mirror :-)

Anonymous said...

Well I will be spending it with 10 to 17 5 year olds. lol I'd rather be over there with you. Can we trade places for the night? I'm betting you could handle the little guys great and i know I could handle the bonfire and fairy chasing!

Talli Roland said...

That sounds fabulous. I didn't do anything. Bah...

Toyin O. said...

Wow, sounds like a great way to pass time, I always wanted to visit Norway.

Summer Ross said...

Unfortunately on homework instead of playing with fairies. :) Great post.

Ella said...

Such a beautiful view and celebration! I walked and saw the fireflies perform...it was breathtaking! So many this year; they looked like twinkling lights in the huge pine trees. Stunning~

Matt Conlon said...

It doesn't matter how advanced we get as a civilization, or what latest and greatest technological advances we make... Nothing could ever take the place of a good ol' fashion bon fire.