Another first Wednesday of the month, proving once again just how fast time flies. As usual my blog calendar is marked off for the Insecure Writers Support Group, and this month Minnie has some words of wisdom (Minnie-isms) to share with you. I do not always agree with Minnie but one thing is for sure, she is the least insecure “person” I know of.
|If you don't like what you are doing than don't do it!|
Rules of Being a Writer by Minnie:
1. Be true to yourself. There is no point in trying to be a copycat.
2. Dress yourself in the style you are comfortable in, not what others tell you. This is YOUR fashion statement!
3. Go somewhere new and exciting every day, even if it is only in your mind.
4. If you are going to write bullshit then you should be prepared to get bullshit back. In other words, be prepared. Know what you are writing about.
5. Not everyone is going to like you. Who cares? You don’t like everyone either! There is always someone out there that will like what you write, so don’t give up looking.
6. If the water is too deep then learn how to swim. Don’t be afraid to ask for help or learn a new skill.
7. Practice makes perfect. Don’t expect a magic genie to appear and do all your work for you.
8. Sometimes you have to stop and smell the roses. How you get to the finish line is more important than when you get there.
9. Too many weeds strangle a garden. Get rid of weedy words and unnecessary flourish so the reader can better enjoy his journey through your story without getting Poison Ivy.
10. Remember there is always a beginning, middle and an end. Stay on the path and don’t get distracted. Most of all….WRITE!
Want to see what others in this group have to say, check out the Insecure Writers Support Group.
Now that Minnie got all that off her chest, I have some news for you. The anthology Open Doors which features my short story, has last time I looked, made it to number 5 on the top 100 best sellers list for anthologies at amazon. YAY! The book fair was a huge success with over 40,000 entries! This means that there was a lot of awareness raised to help gain support for diabetes! This support will continue with a percentage of all profits from certain physical books until the end of October. If you want to help, than you can certainly click here and buy the paper book edition of Open Doors or any of the other books listed under my banner for Melynda’s Labor Day Blogfest and Book Fair.
The Nicotine Monster is far from dead, but the battle continues as he is being starved from my body. The physical act of him entering my body has however changed from cigarettes to patches. I consider that a large victory. Breaking "the habit" is more than getting rid of nicotine. The mental and oral addiction of 40 years is a big fight in itself! I know the dangers of replacing one addiction for another, but if lolly pops and carrot sticks will help me with this transition so be it! I know what you are going to say...STICK TO THE CARROT STICKS!! I hear you, but as you can see by the grin on my face, sometimes I just have to do something a little bad for me.
So how about a little encouragement from my cyber friends, and let me know what you tink of Minnie's rules!